Saturday, October 11, 2014

T Minus 14 days......

   Wow! I just realized this morning as I was putting in my miles that Cactus Rose 100 is here! My mind quickly went back to April 30,2013 and all the events that have led me to today. Some have been negative but many positive things have happened to transform me into hopefully a better person. Hell I'm not a angel and I don't really recall at any point aspiring to be one. The move to Odessa sort of rounded out the changes I feel I needed to make. It's been great! A new town, new friends, and a new career always does a gypsy soul like mine good! A little over 17 months ago I NEVER dreamed I'd be here today with my career OR my running. Running wasn't on my radar then. My significant other at the time had tried to get me to but I was pretty much stuck in my dark little world of drinking and self misery. It's been a long damn road.... about twice during every run I get lyrics stuck in my head from Dierks Bentley's Long Trip Alone....
  • It's a long trip alone over sand and stone
    That lie along the road that we all must travel down
  • So maybe you could walk with me a while
    And maybe I could rest beneath your smile
    Everybody stumbles sometimes and needs a hand to hold
    'Cause it's a long trip alone
  • It's a short piece of time but just enough to find
    A little peace of mind under the sun somewhere
  • So maybe you could walk with me a while
    And maybe I could rest beneath your smile
    You know we can't afford to let one moment pass us by
    'Cause it's a short piece of time
  •  This has been a long trip alone for me and 75 miles of Cactus Rose will be alone but I kinda like who I've become so I don't mind the company now! So many people have helped get me to where I'm at today and I'm grateful to every single one of them. My family has stuck beside me, my friends (runner & non-runners alike) have inspired me to keep pushing not only my body but my mind as well. I'm taking my baby brother Max to crew me. Nope he's never ran a race or been to one but I trust him and I know he will be there at the aid stations when I come stumbling in. I'm sure there will be plenty of others there to help so no worries there. My pacer from mile 75 on is one tough dude. He's been through the battles and there is no quit in him and the man will get me to the buckle..... Most of the work is done and now it's getting stuff together. Gu,Tailwind,Bonk Bars,Duct tape,coke,oreos, n etc plus a few beers for when I finish.............
  • 1 comment:

    1. Good luck. Hope we both hit the finish line with a smile.

      ReplyDelete